Opportunity to join a highly innovative and growth-oriented engineer-procure-construct (EPC) general contracting organization and take lead in driving the “get work” portion of the business. Lead, develop and grow Summit Engineering and Construction’s estimating team, estimating systems, and future estimating leaders. Looking for a leader who will promote the development of creative solutions to construction challenges and drive competitive costs for our customers while protecting Summit’s commercial interests during preconstruction activities. Summit performs extensive repeat work with its customers, putting a huge emphasis on treating our customers right, doing what we say we will do, and front-to-back customer-focused attitudes. It is critical that all leaders within our team uphold our core values of “Do Right, On Time, With Excellence”, and put others’ needs ahead of our own. We believe in having humble, collaborative, truthful, solutions-focused, and growth-oriented attitudes toward our customers, other leaders, internal team members, vendors, and subs.
Projects Include: Nationwide large-scale turnkey/EPC green-field livestock complexes, agricultural food processing and handling facilities, commercial agricultural projects, and smaller-scale livestock buildings. Project scopes may include earthwork, stormwater, exterior utilities, foundation, superstructure, MEPs, interior buildouts, or equipment installations.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
Engage and lead the pursuit leads and project teams in front-end scoping and pre-construction activities through the get-work phase of the business. Lead the estimating team to coordinate and perform pre-construction estimating tasks working with current & potential clients, sub-consultants, self-perform, sub-contractors, and in-house design & engineering resources for all Summit general contract and self-perform projects.
- Learn about agricultural general contracting and self-perform and lean into embracing the differences while maintaining a critical lens of key areas to bring better thinking into the industry and our organization
- Improve and build out estimating templates, usable historical cost database information, conceptual estimating models, and self-perform estimating sheets to be scaled across business
- As required, lead team in front end programming, scoping, preparing preliminary budgets, conceptual estimates, cost models, and detail estimates for projects of varying size and complexity
- Include cost, material, and labor dynamics
- Perform thorough and detailed review of estimates to ensure numbers align with historical, market conditions, and scope specifics
- Lead the team in estimate hand-offs from Preconstruction to Operations for Construction and Post-Contract Buy-Outs
- Build-Out preferred sub-contractor database and work with Sub-Consultants and Sub- Contractors to find Value Engineering Options
- Build estimating team’s working knowledge of estimating trade including material unit costs, systems square foot costs, and total building square foot costs and well as best-practice for effective general contracting and self-perform estimating. Additionally, promote this knowledge to the greater team.
- Work closely with the Project Management, Engineering, Design, and Field teams and collaborate as needed to procure pricing from sub-contractors and develop quality field cost data
- Promote and drive collaboration across the entire organization.
- Research and recruit new sub-contractors as required for design-build applications, and value engineering to drive competitive buy-outs and strategically align with the Project Management team on sub-contractor qualifications
- Manage and improve material take-off process, and estimating team in rigorous, effective, and efficient implementation.
- Research and compile historical cost data and ensure the database is current for use in future estimate preparation
- Keep current on changes and trends in methods of livestock facility construction and materials, and construction costs.
- Manage estimating processes and templates used during Preconstruction prior to Operations Hand-Off
- Participate in design progress meetings and client presentations as required
- Perform occasional travel to job site prior to, during, and after construction
- Hard Bid
- Contract Types:
- Negotiated Work
- Cost Plus
- Must have a disposition for leadership, a desire to improve/build systems, and a passion to grow people.
- Must show rigor and discipline with good attention to detail
- Must have very good written and communication skills.
- Endorse the company’s morals and ethics.
- Embrace and communicate company culture of Do Right, On Time, With Excellence
- Have a desire to help others be proactive in their work and business practices.
- Embody a collaborative, humble, truthful, solutions-focused, win-win mentality and growth-oriented worldview
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Four-year degree in an accredited construction-related curriculum and ten years experience in estimating, design-related activities, project management, or construction management.
- Alternatively, 12 years of experience in estimating, design-related activities, or project management. Experienced with design-build, engineer/procure/construct, construction management, and hard bid projects.
- Experienced in the use of computer-based estimating systems and competent in the use of recognized electronic spreadsheets, and word processing. The ability to gain a good working knowledge of estimating software and basic use of CAD or Revit may be valuable
- Proficiency in Divisions 2 – 16
- Experience in estimating Concrete, Superstructure, MEPs, and Equipment is preferred
To Apply for This Position:
Send your cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Department
Summit Engineering & Construction
Attn: Doug Brunton
3823 W 1800 S
Remington, IN 47977
Or email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
All submissions will be kept confidential.